Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 29, 2012

You’ve Got A Friend


1 Then Elihu said:
 2 “Do you think it is right for you to claim,
      ‘I am righteous before God’?
 3 For you also ask, ‘What’s in it for me?
      What’s the use of living a righteous life?’
 4 “I will answer you
      and all your friends, too.
 5 Look up into the sky,
      and see the clouds high above you.
 6 If you sin, how does that affect God?
      Even if you sin again and again,
      what effect will it have on him?
 7 If you are good, is this some great gift to him?
      What could you possibly give him?
 8 No, your sins affect only people like yourself,
      and your good deeds also affect only humans.  Job 35:1-8

I read this about 4 times and kept thinking about the testimony of Mark Hall of the band Casting Crowns. He was talking to God and he told God that he didn’t need him because there were so many other people more talented and gifted that him. Mark said that God told him “I don’t need you, I want you!”

The above passage reads “If you are good, is this some gift to him?” I keep thinking about that.

I get to serve a youth group alongside some other adults who sincerely care for every single one of them. One gentleman, I will call Jim (because his name really is Jim), always invites them to attend a worship service with him on the weekend.

I ask the students to bring a friend each week and they will come up to me and say “Hey Rick I brought a friend!” sometimes it might even be 3 friends. They love their youth night so much that they want to bring friends. Jim loves our God so much he wants to bring friends!

We don’t have to go to God empty handed. We can go to him holding the hands of our friends and say “Hi God! I brought some of my friends!”

Let’s help gather the lost sheep! Also be a GOOD friend. Check up on them frequently. Ask if they need anything or if you can do anything for them. But don’t ever do it if you are expecting something in return. A gift is not something you give and expect to be given back to you.




Have a wonderful day today!

Today’s readings:
 JOB 35:1-37:24

Tomorrow's readings:
JOB 38:1-40:5

No comments:

Post a Comment