Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 5, 2012

What’s In A Name?

 3 At this, Abram fell face down on the ground. Then God said to him, 4 “This is my covenant with you: I will make you the father of a multitude of nations! 5 What’s more, I am changing your name. It will no longer be Abram. Instead, you will be called Abraham,[a] for you will be the father of many nations. 6 I will make you extremely fruitful. Your descendants will become many nations, and kings will be among them!    Genesis 17:3-6

15 Then God said to Abraham, “Regarding Sarai, your wife—her name will no longer be Sarai. From now on her name will be Sarah.[a] 16 And I will bless her and give you a son from her! Yes, I will bless her richly, and she will become the mother of many nations. Kings of nations will be among her descendants.”

Why did God  and other individuals change names of people? For example the above or  Israel (Jacob), Paul (Saul),Peter (Simon) or Joshua (Hoshea).

God sometimes gave names to individuals before they were born.


Today’s readings: Genesis 15:1-17:27

If you have time today dig a little and post what you have found that would explain to us why names were changed. Post your thoughts!

Be blessed always!                         (Check out new link to the right)

2 comments:

  1. Abram- means exalted father. Abraham- means father of many. Maybe the meaning of the name change is that no longer was it just a promise to him ... But it was a fulfilled promise ... In the way God originally intended. I think this reflected On God's character, How he always fulfills his promises. And not even men and women led astray from his will By their own impatience or sin, can stop his Love for us, or his will from being done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Changing your name is God's way of starting the renewal process and to signify a new beginning. People often live up to what they think their name means and changing it can be the catalyst needed. For me I was once a just a man, then I became a husband, and now I am called Daddy. With each additional name there has been a change that I can only credit God.

    ReplyDelete