Total Pageviews

Monday, January 9, 2012

Lie + Lie = Blessing?

 33 Isaac began to tremble uncontrollably and said, “Then who just served me wild game? I have already eaten it, and I blessed him just before you came. And yes, that blessing must stand!”
 34 When Esau heard his father’s words, he let out a loud and bitter cry. “Oh my father, what about me? Bless me, too!” he begged.
 35 But Isaac said, “Your brother was here, and he tricked me. He has taken away your blessing.”
 36 Esau exclaimed, “No wonder his name is Jacob, for now he has cheated me twice.[a] First he took my rights as the firstborn, and now he has stolen my blessing. Oh, haven’t you saved even one blessing for me?”  (Genesis 27:33-36)
~~~~~~~~~~~~----~~~~~~~~~~~~

It does not seem to add up that Jacob should be blessed by deceiving Isaac. We read yesterday that the Lord told Rebekah that the older would serve the younger. Yet, as Rebekah was watching the situation unfold, she felt like she had to intervene instead of letting God follow through on something he had told her in the past.

How do you know when you should "Let go and let God" deal with a situation? 

Today's readings: Genesis 25:27-28:5

Welcome to Monday!!!

3 comments:

  1. We should always "Let God", but letting go is the hard part. If you can not change the situation yourself, it is out of your hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree...letting go is the hard part. That displays a lack of trust and faith that God will take care of a situation when we try to "Play God". Think of the peace we do have when we completely let Him take over.

    Rebekah knew what God had told her but obviously she felt like SHE had to take control and do something herself to make it happen.

    Jacob probably looked pretty silly with hair stuck on his hands and body pretending to be his brother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why does it seem like my version is so off from your version? Today Job 15:1-18:21 was my reading and we are reading The One Year Chronological Bible NIV. I thought they were all the same.

    ReplyDelete